Saturday, October 2, 2010

Brazilian Blowout; I think I'll Pass

I've long been an opponent of the so-called Brazilian Blowout. The company claims that the process is formaldehyde- free and is completely safe, but recently OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) announced otherwise.

"Four separate testing methods reveal the sample contained 10.6%, 6.3%, 10.6% and 10.4% formaldehyde respectively."

10%?! That's a heck of a lot more than "formaldehyde- free". Brazilian Blowout is still maintaining on their website that there is no formaldehyde in their product.

On top of the formaldehyde, the "treatment" requires flat ironing hair at temperatures up to (and possibly exceeding) 450 degrees! Skin burns at a mere 130 degrees and ignites at 480 degrees. I can't imagine that would be good for your hair.

There have been reports of stylists sustaining nose bleeds, burning eyes and having trouble breathing. I've seen pictures of stylists donning masks while applying the product to protect themselves. I personally wouldn't put anything on my hair that required a mask and could cause nose bleeds.

I know that a lot of people love the Brazilian Blowout and feel that the benefits outweigh the risks, but for me personally, I'll stick to traditional methods of keeping my hair happy. At the very least, if you are hell bent on getting the treatment, do the research first so you know what you're getting yourself into.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's scary.
    It's important to remember that if you have really long hair, the ends may be 10 years old.
    Consider the effect of ANY exposure over that time.
    450F ?? Holy cow that's what temp we bake our powder coated car parts at to melt the powder and cure it to the metal substrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 450F? Good gods... I'm actually surprised a salon would undertake the liability that comes with the sort of injury that could be caused at those temperatures. O_O

    ReplyDelete